Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The World Is Flat


This is the longest week of my life. I have yet to get used to the way it was before. Maybe I never will and never have to. To add to the misery, there's was a holiday yesterday and a board meeting today. Unfortunately, I am an ADHD (go look this up on the internet) person who cannot stand doing nothing and lazing around thus holidays aren't good days for me unless I am away and have activities planned up.

If that wasn't bad enough, the board meeting started at 8am this morning and finished after 6pm. I don't really know what time it finished coz I left. Yes, you heard right, I left the board meeting after my presentation.

A book review was done in first part of the meeting - The World Is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman. It's about globalization and how we are moving into that without knowing. Everyone has equal opportunities everywhere in the World now. There were basically 10 points to prove that the World if flat:
1. Sept 1989 - The day the walls came down (Berlin) and Windows went up
2. August 1995 - Netscape went public
3. The availability of Workflow software
4. Open sourcing - free operating systems without having to pay big sums, destroys monopolization
5. Outsourcing - the giants are starting to believe and depend on third world countries
6. Offshoring - people are expanding worldwide
7. Supply-chaining - dealing directly with the supplier instead of having middle-men
8. Insourcing - companies are beginning to offer all other services within their company to clients
9. Informing - thanks to Google, Yahoo, MSN
10. Steroids - antennas, technologies, cellphones - connections made possible

With all these, people start losing jobs when their jobs can be 'replaced'. Thus, to keep yourself in the workforce, one has to be "The Untouchables" - people who cannot be replaced or outsourced. They are workers who are:
1. special (like Bill Gates, Michael Jordan)
2. specialized (heart surgeons)
3. anchored (jobs such as nurses and teachers)
4. really adaptable people - people who learns new skills and are able to adapt to changes. In other words, really valuable people

Are you asleep yet? This was just about the most exciting thing during the board meeting. I almost fell asleep for the rest of day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Outsourcing is chaning the shape of the world and it will continue to do so. In outsourcing, we may see a reverse trend in which many Americans
will go to China and India for finding works.

800 Americans are now working in ICT companies in India
and this figure will
only increase.