Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus


This is the book I read aboout 3 or 4 years back. Back then, it didn't really seem to apply as Asian guys don't exactly act the same way. I didn't finish reading the book but remembered some points from the book till today. Never did I know it would come in useful now.

Point 1 : Men are like rubberbands. They have to pull back at a certain time till they've reached a certain point to come springing back to you. If they were not allowed to pull back, they cannot spring back and at certain point the rubberband will break. Where do they go when they pull back? Into the caves, to think, to make conclusions on how they feel and to learn.

This kind of explains men's disappearance in our (women's) life at some point. What I understand is to give them space, let them free, let them hide in the cave when they need to. Now this book was written by a man and I somehow have some doubts about this sentence. How much freedom do we need to give? What kind of freedom - freedom to do anything they want including harming themselves and cheating on their partners? We women would of course not want our man to be hurt in any way thus trying to 'protect' them from harm. Is this what men call not giving them space? And somehow, this book doesn't explain how it is applied in long distance relationships where we women are not there physically and yet the men need some time off to hide in the cave when they could've hidden for all the time being apart?

Point 2 : Men don't talk about their problems. They only seek for help only if they can't help themselves anymore and are in the dead end or deepest ravine.

OK, I understand that men have egos (not saying that women don't) and they'd want to be heroes and solve their own problems. But why be sick and miserable all by yourself when the women in your lives can help make you feel better? I think the book has also forgotten to mention about how we women feel when the men don't open up. We feel that we're not important in your life, that you don't share your life with us.

Point 3 : Men show their love not by affections and saying it all the time but by providing for their loved ones. In other words, working 24 hours a day to provide for their loved ones even if it means not having enough time to spend with their loved ones.

Hello, this is the 21st century for goodness sake. We women are capable of taking care of ourselves. Of course we'd feel pampered and cared for if you wanted to take care of us and provide everything but otherwise, if you're not in that position or don't have enough capability to do that yet, we understand and are not asking you to do that. All you have to do is open up and tell and we'd help in all your expenses because we love you and we are not going to look down on you.

Enough said. I am going to get cranky if I write more. Men, defend yourselves, yet again.

No comments: