Sunday, April 09, 2006

Men stories by Man


Karen recently posted a review about this book, Man & Boy. I remember reading this about 5 years ago (Roslyn, where's my book?). There were very good reviews about this book which made me want to read it. Some people even said they cried reading it. Out of curiosity, I bought it. I didn't even feel like crying at all at any point of the book. Instead, all I could say after each chapter was this : SERVE HIM RIGHT! It's all about this man who had a wife and kid. He blew it all when he had a one night stand with his office colleague.


Now 5 years later, I read Tony Parson's latest - The Family Way. This one's about 3 sisters and of course problems with their men. One married a taxi driver, the other two got pregnant but their men were useless. One of the men kept sleeping around with so many unknown women and the other just didn't really want the kid. At one point of the book, this is what one of the men said, "Men are born to plant their seeds everywhere". That is so crude. So should men be forgiven every time they sleep with someone other than their partners just because they are born to do so? Seems that way. I somehow disagree so much with what was said in the book that I started to question if really, life is supposed to be this way. There was even one reviewer that said this book reflects very much to real life situations in this century.

The next moment when my guy asked how the book was going, I jumped and tried to question him if it was really like that. I started by saying the author, who is a man himself writes about how men are all scums and because of books like that, we women think that all men are scumbags (of course I had to word it carefully!). Then I continued by asking him if the statement - men are born to plant their seeds everywhere, is true. His reply was this, "It's kind of correct. We men forget our friends whom we met somewhere after we leave the place but women, they become friends forever. Remember the people we met in Bali? I've forgotten them but I'm sure you do remember them." Although his answer is a little out of the context, I guess the point is that it's true that men just have that instinct to want to plant their seeds everywhere and then forget about where they've planted the seeds. And worse, if they realized that they've done wrong, they could use the statement about them being born that way and it's a natural thing for them and that we women should forgive them!

To me, it's all about choices. Even if they really had this kind of instinct, they can choose to do it or not. And of course, it is a totally unforgiveable act if they choose to do so and especially wrong when the statement about being born that way is used to defend themselves. Totally, absolutely unforgiveable. Tell me that I'm living in a dream world of Princes and Knights in shinning armour but I believe there are men out there who can overcome their so-called instincts and choose to be faithful. Men, defend yourselves!

1 comment:

coffee81 said...

Sorry! Not yet finish reading! I know it's been ages. Don't worry, I will return it to you once finish. This might take forever... -_-