Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Learning Mandarin

The 2nd lesson of Mandarin was horrendous. I couldn't remember a single thing by now. It's been totally erased from my brain, not that I wanted it to be erased but I don't think my brain was made to keep information like this.

A normal class for beginners would probably begin with writing numbers, getting you to learn the basic stuff like how to say "hello" and "bye bye". My second class, I was thought how to read and write stuff like 'ornamental', 'photo frame' and 'desktop'. They seem like simple words in English. But to write this in Chinese, desktop for example, needs 8 or more different Chinese characters. Why? Because the first two would mean 'PC table', the second two would mean some desktop where you can put women's acessories, etc etc which, all put together would mean desktop. A square in Chinese relates to mouth so if there is a Chinese word which relates to mouth, the square would be there. So women's accessories, including lipstick, relates to the mouth so there is a square in the character. There is no structure in writing Chinese characters. Is this sounding complicated yet? Complicated isn't even the word to describe the writing, it is more than complicated!

And so, I am leaving for Myanmar tomorrow morning, landing at the Yangon airport and will definitely be looking at more weird unrecognized characters. Surely I will go crazy soon?

No comments: