Yes, it's the continuation of Uncle Bob's story. I have to amend a few things. Starting off, Uncle Bob has now been calling me every day without fail. Not two or three days once but every single day. He's got a very big project in his bare and bored hands - playing the matcmaker.I remember clearly telling him that I have a boyfriend but since this task is so important to him he chose to ignore the fact. Then when he started the nonsense, I told him that I would feel extremely awkward and would not like to be in this situation. But knowing Uncle Bob and his pitiful ways, he denies this and keeps on insisting that he sets up a meeting for me. He keeps saying, "but this is for your future......" Future my foot.
So there he goes excitedly telling his sister in law about me and even telling the poor guy's parents about his plans. The guy of course does not know what is happening. Uncle Bob finally arranges with the guy's parents and his sister-in-law to come over to my office! HECK! My office! How does this fragile old man know that I would give reasons after reasons if he tried arranging for a dinner instead? Sounds really familiar but my ex-colleague and I kept on putting off dinner with Uncle Bob for two whole years!
Continuing on with Uncle Bob's plans - he actually has told the guy's parents of his intentions and has made them very happy parents. It seems that the parents have been looking high and low for a bride and has even tried to register their son for some singles meet-up sessions arranged by a political party in KL. A few things came to my mind - the guy must have a whopping 50 inches around his waist, looks like a Hobbit and has the habit of digging his nose in public. Uncle Bob called again this afternoon and asked me a question which confirms that I can never be a candidate for this matchmaking effort. He asked if I really don't speak in any Chinese dialects at all. For once, THANK GOODNESS I cannot speak in Chinese! Of course I will never mention that the company has sent me for a Mandarin course but again, I am failing terribly in the lessons. But poor Uncle Bob has worked so hard in this that he just won't give up. He made sure that I would be around on Thursday.
The guy's parents are now looking forward to this meeting and has specially requested for their poor son who doesn't have any inkling of this to take a holiday leave on Thursday in the pretext of bringing them all for a visit to the company I work for. Darn! I wish the company wasn't opened to visitors.
I am now cracking my head terribly on how to avoid this meeting. Uncle Bob will of course never give up and no doubt he will be calling tomorrow again to make sure I am around on Thursday and calling up the office on Thursday itself to check if I am working.
If you are reading this blog now, please please give me some suggestions on how to avoid the meeting and how to gently put down a frail old man with athritis who has too much time in his hands, is too lonely and finds things like this too exciting for him to give up (even though I cannot speak in Chinese and I guess the guy cannot speak in English). Time is surely ticking away fast, faster than my brains!


No comments:
Post a Comment