Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Balinese Cats and Dogs

This, I found on the black sand beach in Medewi. I thought it was some big shell thus, picked it up with my own bare hands only to find that it was something that has been dead not too long ago. Fortunately it was not some human skull or I would have screamed my lungs out and came back with some horror story for my blog. Upon closer look, it was an animal skull, perhaps a cat or a dog. I wasn't sure then if I could bring it home with me (I wanted to!) but since the land is also known for black magic, I thought I should not disturb any of the previous lifeforms and such. I let the soul of this poor little thing free. I threw it back into the sea.

The cats in Bali - these are real Balinese cats. Most Balinese cats have short tails as if someone has chopped them off. But really, no one does that. They're just born that way. I couldn't imagine if someone actually had to chop off all the tails of the cats in Bali. I wonder then where do they store the tails? These two cats are different cats. There were about five cats at the place I stayed in Medewi. These cats are no strangers. They'd sit with you on the table while you eat your food, hoping that you'd share some. Unlike the pampered stray cats in Malaysia which don't eat curry chicken skin, the Balinese cats eat anything. They are really carefree, 'jogging' on the beach every morning, sitting on the rocks watching sunsets in the evenings and gathering around playing 'mahjong' during mid day. OK, kidding about the 'mahjong' but they do gather around. Sometimes, I wish I was a cat.

This is Denga, the dog in the surf camp, my favorite dog in Bali. Most dogs in Bali are not purebreds or pedigrees. They're all mixed breeds. During my stay, I found only one Pekingese in one of the homes at the hilltop where all the 'richer' people stayed. Denga must be a mixed Collie, Lhasa Apso, Cocker Spaniel, Golden Retriever, etc. She goes 'surfing' with us. Her activities on the beach include looking for other dogs, taking a walk to the end of the beach where you can't see her, sitting around getting tanned (no wonder she's so black) and leaving her trademarks on the beach (including poo). She never fails to come to me when I call and she sits with me during breakfast every morning. I bet she can sniff out the 'dog smell' in me. That's my Bali dog....

No comments: