Monday, January 23, 2006

Balinese Bugs

a grashopper having its time of the day in between the corner of a step meant for flowerpots Of course if there are cats and dogs all over Bali, there would be insects and beetles too. Most of these bugs were found in the fishermen's village in Medewi. Some are extinct, bugs that you would never see in big cities like KL and bugs that you never knew existed.

I am one person who loves the nature and thus this task of taking pictures of bugs fit me really well. I would be sitting there on the beachfront, listening to the waves churning in, feeling the mild heat from the early morning sun with my glass of avocado juice and once in a while, you just spot something unique - yes, the bugs.
this beetle is no larger than 0.5cm in size
Now, this does require certain extent of good eyesight, courage and skills. Sometimes these bugs would be merely 0.5cm or less but upon closer look, they have beautiful colors and patterns on them. Skills come in useful when these little bugs tend to speed across the table and disappear into the tiny creaks on the table or floor before you could even turn on your camera.


This spider was found on top of a banana tree over the wooden fence. Skill is certainly needed to hang on to the fence while focusing on the spider and its web. Meanwhile, there were also at least 5 more spiders this huge around this one.Courage is certainly useful when taking pictures of spiders larger than your hands while hanging onto the wooden fence which reaches your upper abdomen. Of course one has to be 'thick-skinned' (courageous and not have issues with people watching and laughing at what you're doing) because the villagers would be looking at you funny as they've never seen people who would climb up the wall and who are so interested in taking pictures of the pests that they see every other day. I am glad I overcame this hurdle before I went to Bali.
This is the infamous silver-spider, a rare species now
One cannot be faint-hearted as well and not go screaming away when you see icky bugs like these. I'm glad I do not have the fear of bugs and grossly looking spiders. But somehow I will never be able to take close shots of any feathered beasts!

No comments: