Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Newbies

Please don't bully me. I am just a new kitty born in this cruel world!

There has been quite some newbies in the office recently. One of my worse habits in office is to watch how these newbies react when left all by themselves, fending whatever comes along their way, their very first days of survival in this 'unique' corporate world. Some funny sightings included bringing their own prepacked lunch to canteen to dine alone, not going to the loo for the whole day in fear of bumping into people or dozing off at their new desks because they've not received an order to work.

A newbie was introduced to me this morning. Right after that, her boss left her standing in my department waiting for another staff. I was going to offer her a seat somewhere but my terrible habit of watching what she would do came over me. She stood there for a few seconds and looked all around. After a couple of minutes she started to walk a few steps forward and back. I was already smilling at this juncture. Then she slowly walked to the next department where her boss who left her was quite nearby and repeated her actions, not knwoing who to talk to in that department either. Fortunately for her, the staff she was supposed to see came back and I could see her face glowing with happiness. Alas! No more feelings of weirdness for her!

I know, I could've offered her a seat and striked up a conversation with her but I guess sooner or later, she'd have to go through this again so why not some practice now. God forgive me.

I don't remember going through these on my first few days since it was work as soon as I arrived. I'm truly thankful for that but I could remember when I was sent to Communications Department for half the day. It was truly horrendous as all three of them were ignoring me and staring at their computers after the brief introduction. That was when I jumped up and ordered them to give me something to do as I cannot stand sitting there doing nothing. All three looked up. I must've been the weirdest person to them. I wonder if they remembered?

Oh well, it's now revenge time I guess since I am far from being the newbie.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a newbie in the blogosphere. Please spare me. LOL

I started visiting your blog last week. I like it.

Happy blogging! :p

Wendy said...

Hey Jemima,

Unfortunately, I couldn't do my bullying stunt on blogs...YET!

Thanks for your comments and welcome to the blogger's world!

coffee81 said...

Ah! I know who you are talking about!!

Wendy said...

coffee,

which part of it that you know who I'm talking about? the newbie or the sleeper or the prepack luncher or comms people?