Friday, June 30, 2006

Santubong - my dreamland!

Damai Beach - such a heavenly place!

I've gotten over Bali. I found a better beach, real blue sea, blue skies, white sandy beach and if that isn't enough, the rest of nature next to it. All in this country where I was born in. Now I wish I didn't have to work in this busy city called KL which sometimes make me a deranged woman. I want to build a house right there on the beaches of Santubong, looking out into the South China Sea. Then maybe sell ice-creams for a living. Sigh! I wish life was just so simple.

On the last day in Kuching, I was supposed to go kayaking with the rest to see the dolphins. Unfortunately with an injured arm and less a canoe and paddle, I was finally left on Damai Beach (Holiday Inn) by Uncle Francis. That was the beginning of an adventure for me.

It was still raining quite heavily when I pretended to be the guest of the resort, walking around, asking for an umbrella. I went over to the 'sports and activities' room and started to talk to this Uncle. He was the one in-charged of water activities. They even have bodyboard facilities there can you believe it? And for a mere MYR10, you get to bodyboard to your heart's content. Unfortunately because it was still raining, there wasn't any activities. Uncle didn't suspect even a little that I wasn't a guest at the resort.

I guess the best thing to do then was to enjoy a good massage for all the aches from Mount Santubong. Uncle asked me if I would like to charge it to the room. I already had a room number prepared in my mind just in case someone asked but hey, I am not a bad person after all. I told him that I'll pay immediately by cash. So there I go, RM50 for an hour's worth of massage. The masseur was quite good actually, easing all the aches and pain but she smeared a lot of oil on me, even on my face! I think I looked like 'orang minyak'.

The rain continued on after that but in between, I managed to stroll down the beach. Since there wasn't much, I continued on pretending to be a guest and took the shuttle to the next resort. They actually drove me to the next resort for free and it was only me! I felt so honoured!

The other side of the beach

There wasn't any rain at the next resort, instead the sun was shinning brightly. It was a nice place, only that I got a little confused of where everything was. Blame it on bad geography! That was when I decided to go check out the beach through their 'No entry. Only For Guests' signage. The beach was filled with white sand, and similar to the other resort, I was the only one on the beach. Cool!! The whole sandy beach to myself. I walked from one end to the other until this guy came out of nowhere. I didn't know then he was Sarawak's State Chairman's son (oopss...I hope he isn't reading my blog and knows that I already know who he is).


The end of the beach where he dropped from the sky


He was nice. He took me around his resort (my dreamland!) where you lived in treehouses among the greeneries and animals and if you peered through the trees, you see the beach. There you go, all in one. Where else on earth can you find a heavenly sanctuary like this?

A little crab I found at the rainforest resort


The swimming pool at the resort - natural spa and healing properties!
I dipped my feet in it and it was a cool sensation

It was kind of a long tour. A tour which ended up with me missing the shuttle bus back to Kuching to catch my flight. His resort crew had to look for a transport for me back to Kuching instead while I was offered lunch.

Indeed it was a great day and I wasn't regretful about not going for the kayak trip to watch dolphins. That will be in my next trip's itineary. Perhaps I'd be living for good in Santubong one day....

4 comments:

dilvin said...

Do you know why that elating feeling that you felt? This place is called Damai Beach!

Francis Ho said...

So u think Damai Beach is nice?

Wait till you see ome of the other beaches I kayak to - they'll blow your mind away! U ain't seen nothing yet baby! ;)

dilvin said...

I concurred. Another great one is at Teluk Pandan Kecil, Bako. Yet to traverse further but i belive paradise's awating.

Wendy said...

Every beach seems to be a paradise to me. I better stop visiting more beaches otherwise I wanna make each and every beach my home!

Imagine getting fascinated even by black sand beaches!