Monday, June 26, 2006

Singgahsana

I stayed in this cool place called Singgahsana in Kuching. It was smacked right in the middle of town centre with easy access to food, shopping and the Riverfront (this is sort of like The River Sein in Paris minus the artists by the roadside).

Normally a hotel in this vicinity would have cost nothing less than MYR200 per night. This wasn't exactly a hotel but more like a high class backpackers inn with backpackers' rate. If I did not mention that it's a backpackers' inn, one would have thought that it's a 4 to 5 star hotel looking at the pictures.


It's true, the moment you step into this place, you feel really comfortable, just like stepping into your own home. It's extremely clean, even the shared toilets and bathrooms are clean. The Balinese decor is what I liked best. Paintings of people and places in Asia lined its walls. Teakwood furnishings were all over the place. There's even the big square bunk in the living room that reminds me of Indonesian furniture, the one where everyone sits or relaxes on it while watching TV. This piece brings me back to my younger days where my grandma (she's orginally an Indonesian) had this piece of furniture which she sleeps on. Later on, this became my bed as well until I moved to the big horrendous city.

The best part of this place is that they turned the rooftop into a cozy little place for music (if you wish to relax up there), TV and some games (foosball and pool - definitely, this doesn't mean the swimming pool although it would be if there was a typhoon and lots of raindrops were blown in). There was even a matress up there and I wonder who sleeps there? I would've loved to sleep there. Again this reminds me of previous years in Amsterdam where the apartments were so small and your bedroom is in the attic.

For such a reasonable price and coziness, I would not hesitate to bunk in this place again...unless of course I'm offered a place on the beach!

P/S : Still having problems with uploading pictures...check back soon!

No comments: