Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Final Assault - Kuching Day 2

climb over the restaurant, we shall!
It was before sunrise when I woke up the next morning. Due to time constraints, I didn't shower. I wonder if I smelt bad - like what people always say, you can't smell the badness out of yourself.

It was the day of the ascend up Mount Santubong. All geared up, complete with the RM3.50 disposable raincoat, new hiking shoes, two pairs of socks, two packs of 'Powergel' and 2 litres of glucose water, I was determined to reach the top without being left behind. We started off with our daily breakfast - Mee Kolo which I couldn't stuff all in as it wasn't my normal breakfast time. Little did I know that was going to be the only solid food till I came down the mountain. I remembered joking the night before about packing 'nasi lemak' and having a feast at the peak.

It was quite a nice day, not too sunny and it wasn't raining. We were the first to arrive at the foot of the mountain. Even the restaurant at the foot had locked doors. That was my first climb - over the fence!

It was a nice stroll for a couple of hundred metres up with beautiful waterfalls and wooden bridges over them. I started to practice my photography skills. Right before the first assault up, I confided that I took my last dose of antibiotics that morning. What I heard scared the shit out of me. I was told that medication would certainly slow you down and it was definitely a dangerous thing to do before engaging yourself in strenous activities. Plus, there wasn't going to be any helicopter to help bring me down. NOOOO!!!!

One of those pics I managed to take before losing
my picture taking mood!

Oh well, medications don't have effects on me. For once I am thankful for my own weirdness! Stage after stage we went, the trails getting more and more difficult. I really lost my photography sense and didn't even bother to bring out my camera. All I wanted to do was stay focused and get to the top with the rest. I was definitely worried about the antibiotics that I took and perhaps, the energy for pulling my camera out of the bag and taking pictures could be saved and used to get me to the top. The only pictures I took were at the stops we made. Really regretted then not taking the pictures of some wild mushrooms I spotted, the flora and fauna. When would I ever go back to this place again?

So many ants, I wonder what they live on

Only had the mood to take pictures of ants at one of the stops

The spectacular scene from the top of the mountain

This is what you do when you reach the top!

Anyway, everything went well, it was a huge sigh of relief when I finally saw the peak. I thought the worse was over. Little did I know that I am one of those who're better at ascending than descending. My own saying has always been this - "What goes up, keep it up and don't ever let it come down". With a psyched mind like this, coming down would definitely not be an easy task. I hate it when I couldn't see what's behind me and I have to step, test and feel without looking before stepping down. I guess I trust my visuals more than my own instincts.

Final steps!

Mission accomplished! Look at my big-wide smile!

But I survived! Isn't that the most important thing? People always take one look at me and say I am not one who could do stuff like this although I am one who loves adventure travels and sports. They were afraid that I was going to fall and roll down the mountain when I told them about this trip. So, here I am, proving them wrong again!

It was a really good climb. It was real good fun and because of this, I have booked my air tickets to Sabah. Eat your hearts out, I am attempting Mount Kinabalu in September.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo bravo! Somehow i knew u cld make it back in one piece and still gearing for next action. For most, (and i kid u not), that wld b their 1st & last mountain.

But if i knew u took medication prior to that, i wld have watch you all the way. In fact, i would have watch you left behind in Singgahsana. hahaha!

Anonymous said...

photos shows you have a nice pair of legs ..oh no, i m turn on at that. Wonder how you feel if i tickle you at the right spots ..hahahahaha

Wendy said...

dilvin!
Even if you watched me being left behind, I probably wouldn't be at Singgahsana. Would've called the uncle to take me to the beach!

anonymous,
thanks for your comments but sorry about getting you turned on. Hope you weren't in office or anywhere public when this happened.

dilvin said...

Ever thot of enabling comment moderation or allow only registered blogger to post their comments?

Anonymous said...

dilvin, cannot kid is it ?

why must take things so serious in life ? Let her decide her choice.

Francis Ho said...

oh dear, u've a perverted gutless lurker on your site ...

Wendy said...

that's what my site is always famous for!!! I even have a special post created for them...Look :

http://myfoodforthots.blogspot.com/2006/04/what-has-my-blog-become.html