Monday, May 21, 2007

Malaysia Memang Boleh!

I'm not sure how many times I'm going to blog about how bad Customer Service is in Malaysia and how the tagline of "Malaysia Boleh" has been wrongfully used many many times. Over the weekend, I decided to get a Touch n Go card to get into the shorter queue at the toll booths (as if it'll make much of a difference). I went to one of the offices at the tolls. It was fairly easy to get it from them (except that I'd still complain about them not selling it online for people like me who hates diverting from my original mission to get stuff like that). I filled in the registration form, paid the money and they gave me a card. As easy as that. I even gloated for a while over the fact that they gave me a different card design.
 
But wait....I decided to check the card out to see if it was usable knowing that I am in a country which boasts of its technical expertise and yet fails to deliver at times. Imagine my shock when it was shown on the screen at the toll booth that I had a balance of RM38.70 instead of RM98.70! That's RM60 difference! I called them to lodge a report and the best thing is that they asked me to call back the next day after 24 hours they are only able to check on the balance 24 hours after you lodge a report. This is exactly what I've said about the country who boasts about its IT expertise (and being a broadband user, I know how bad internet lines are at times).
 
I had a similar experience with the EPF office. I went to do a nomination for my EPF account and had filled in the wrong ID number. OK fine, it was my fault for filling in the wrong numbers but I thought that being a government office who has every detail of each working national in this country, you would have to be online and would be able to check if there was any discrepancy in the identification number keyed in or if it matched the name? What if I am a person who goes there without knowing the person's ID but I'd like to nominate this person to receive my forced life savings? That wasn't the end because as soon as the staff keyed in the details and the mistake was realised immediately, he said he could not change the ID number because I had to wait for another 24 hours before the data gets into the system and they could finally rectify the number. And for this, you'd have to go back to their office to change it again. So now, my life savings is dedicated to a non-existent person in this country.
 
A colleague of mine used the SMART tunnel today. He got stuck at the toll booth because it doesn't read the Touch n Go card. How smart can the tunnel be? This brings me back to the first reason why I'm complaining. Tell me why I paid RM110 for the Touch n Go card again if it's going to bring me complications like these?
 
Now if I don't blog within these couple of weeks, you'd know that I've been detained by ISA and probably sued in court for saying what's on my mind because even if it is a supposedly 'free country', you'd get sued for speaking your mind.

No comments: