I never dreamt that one day I would work in the airport unless I became an air stewardess (excuse me but I learnt that the modernised term to use here is 'flight attendant') or a pilot, both of which I would never be because of my eye sight and age. But here am I, the second day at work and I get to watch planes landing and people boarding the planes at my window. I actually have access to the hangout areas of stewardesses and pilots. I use the same toilets as they do, dine at the same place, walk the same walkways, go through the same door and use similar security passes.
There were many stories about working in an airport. There will be no food except for MacDonald's and Coffee Bean, located before the departure area. Lunch would be extremely expensive. Even driving out doesn't help because the airport location is as good as being in outer space. If there was an emergency, there are no clinics nearby. But hey, other than the long journey these couple of days, I have not much to complain about. The food is fine, I get to eat free when I get my tag. Otherwise it is a normal mixed rice price for three dishes. It's not a canteen, it's a lounge area, an area where no passengers of the plane will get to come to. They also have salads, sandwiches and pies. If you're craving for a bowl of spaghetti, forget Coffee Bean, it's up here in the lounge. The best thing is that I get to go up to this lounge and get my portion of free food the next time I travel. If I want more, I get 20% discount at all other food outlets. Did I also say hitching the ride to the airport is at discounted prices?
If I need instant medication, which airport doesn't have a pharmacy? Plus there actually is a specialist medical centre nearby. Of course I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't ever need to use these facilities. For the better, they are also building a food court, a swimming pool and a gym but in the meantime, the childcare centre that's free for staff is something good to hear.
I finally get a laptop to use which I was almost begging for previously. Somehow it doesn't seem so important anymore since I've got my own laptop at home but yes, it's still an honour to be asked what I'd prefer and get it in my hands without getting excuses like ' it's over the budgets' or 'laptops are only for the top management people' while we slaves are the ones who work from home. It's a proper well kept office without the usual junk although I do miss the crazy heat from sitting too far away from the old aircond and coziness of having a space covered with junk that gave me heat and kept me from getting sinuses from cold air for the past years. The new office is well colour coded with new chairs and tables, drawers with keys and a telephone that has storing capabilities. By the way, my boss just asked me why am I not on messenger this morning. I am supposed to log on to chats for communications between offices and I dress in whatever I feel comfy in, even if it means crossback tank tops and jeans.


No comments:
Post a Comment