Monday, July 16, 2007

Glorious Food!!


Batu Caves - on the way to the restaurant

Finally, I have an entry about food after such a long time. I am contemplating changing my blog's name already!

So anyway, there's this cool Chinese restaurant in Selayang called Bei Hai. With my limited knowledge of the Chinese language, the name sounds like someone swearing to me but I was assured that 'Bei Hai' literary means 'big sea. Does it? I dropped by last weekend.

Not only is the food really good, there is a mini aqua-zoo next to it for entertainment too. I've forgotten to take pictures of the food once I had the peanut in my mouth. I just kept on eating and realized there were only pictures of the aqua-zoo but not the food.

Ohh...the food! We had the famous fish soup or steamboat, they call it. It's almost like fish head meehoon but without the meehoon and salted vegetables. The soup is refillable so you can guess how many times the four of us refilled and filled our stomachs to the rim with the soup, not because we were being 'kiasu' but it was really that good. We also had the 'two-way' fried vegetables that had the leafy 'kai-lan' shredded and fried crispy but the stalks stir fried as normal. It tasted like the Japanese crispy seaweed but this is 'kai-lan'! Probably good for those who have phobia of eating the greens (Jo you hear this?) because other than the stalks, the 'kai-lan' didn't taste anything like vegetable at all. We also had the wasabe fried rice. I guess they might not have heard that we wanted wasabe fried rice or the wasabe was really so little that I didn't taste it at all. I asked for some pure wasabe, mixed that with soya sauce and mixed the concoction into my portion of fried rce instead. Other than that, it was quite good.

There are more specialties here like the towfoo and cockles and crabs that the others had but that'll have to wait for my second visit. The crab is really monstrous. One crab can feed four people.

The Bei Hai restaurant is located near FRIM. Instead of turning left into FRIM, go further up and turn left I think. Reservations is a must. Below are pictures from the mini zoo that had me entertained before and after dinner.


These are really huge monsters!

These are called the 'Filipino crab'. Don't ask me why.

This is, like the colour suggests, the 'white crab'. Maybe they're albino.

No comments: