Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Digesting abbreviations

In my previous company, when I first joined them, they had abbreviations for people's names on the telephone directory and everything else. My e-mail address used to be 'whtn' and I was known as 'whtn'. It wasn't easy calling anyone because you'd have to remember their abbreviated names. The directory was totally useless to me then.

Right now, my e-mail name is in full, as per my IC. I don't think anyone would want to send an email to me at my company email address. But that isn't the problem. I am reading up on company procedires, rules, forms, etc and find that the company call themselves MAA. There's IAA and TAA too. There is also a department called FLOPS (which I later learnt that it meant flight operations) and I am still wondering what's SOP, IEE and so forth. Hmm....

Why can't everything just be in icons....like smileys for my department. Now that will be something easy to remember.

No comments: