Friday, November 24, 2006

What not to do in Langkawi

If you plan to visit Langkawi soon, a visit to this place called 'Burnt Rice' or 'Padi Terbakar' in Malay will prove to be a futile visit. We were actually on our way to see 'Makam Mahsuri' or 'Mahsuri's Tomb' (ask me later why I wanted to visit a tombstone) but all the road signs pointed to this place called 'Burnt Rice'.

I was awaken by the car coming to a halt thinking that we've arrived somewhere. Oh joy! So we walked past a long walkway with shops selling similar stuff - sea shells, clothes, 'tongkat ali', sea cucumbers and everything else that are supposed to be duty-free. I exepected to see something interesting but to my dismay, at the end of the walkway, there was just this signboard and a story about the burnt rice.


And behind the board, there lies a small area of green patch with a slightly burnt spot.


That was really it. The worse thing about this is that there are no toilets around here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Y did u want 2 visit a tombstone? Ha Ha... U did say to ask u later. Wow.. all those history studying not enough-ah? Have to fly all the way there to c for yrself?

Wendy said...

That's the thing! I thought I'd see more interesting things than two stones jutting out of the ground for the entrance fees paid. In the end, it's only tombstone, a well, a Malay house and a museum filled with the same story repeated again and again, all next to the paddy field!