Thursday, November 23, 2006

Malaysians rude?


A survey was done recently naming Malaysia as the 3rd rudest country in the World. I never really believed this until last weekend.

It was my first trip to Langkawi and despite the nauseous feeling from the plane ride that day, I was quite ecstatic about spending the weekend in the sun, sea and beach! We arrived at the hotel at about 2pm thinking that like most hotels, they'd find you rooms and check you in a little early. Unfortunately after some time queing and checking my booking details, I was referred to this fat womann (I'm calling her fat because she really deserves it) who told me me this, "You come back at 3pm" and walked off.

Well, maybe the hotel was fully booked, so we hung around till 3pm. I approached check-in again and the fat woman told me this after some time, "I only have one room for you. You come back again in half hour to get the other room's key." At this point I was still cool and asked if I could get both keys, hang out in the available room and then use the adjoining room when it was ready. She rudely told me "Cannot. That room not cleaned yet." I thought she was slow (fat and slow) so I repeated what I meant but she just would not budge! She finally relented when my friend came in to tell her off but her fat face was so dark like a charred pot at that moment and she said this, "Can lah can lah if you want like that. Can lah why cannot?" and she almost threw the key to my face. Not to mention from the start I've not seen even a tiniest slight twitch to indicate a smile.

Whatever happened to service with a smile especially at a 4 star hotel? Plus she didn't bother to check my identity if I was the actual person who'd booked the rooms. Anyone could have checked-in using my name!

Now I wonder if the survey is true? After all, just one fat woman like this could have given many foreigners the idea that Malaysians are all rude.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some Malaysians I met in Kuching and Sibu were wonderful, friendly, helpful, courteous, and willing to help an gwai loh (ang moh on a nice day). Others however were rude, discourteous, unhelpful, and once in a while, oblivious to my presence. Just like anywhere else in the world.

Had the pleasure of meeting FH2O on my last visit, as well as a woman journalist, both of whom went out of their way to assist a traveler. My thanks to them, their friends, and others who were an absolute delight to an North American (Canadian, really) visitor.

Wendy said...

Hello urbanwriter,

I guess there are such people in the whole world, not only in Malaysia.

I've seen your comments on some blogs and visited your blog two days ago, so I was surprised to see a comment from you! What a coincidence!