Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Dress Shop!


It was truly last minute. I needed more than a pink dress. In fact I needed a Spanish costume for the party. The pink dress would definitely not fit the theme. So out I went for an emergency shopping spree last week. I scoured shops after shops and finally found this little corner shop tucked in between the escalators and a hidden restaurant in Bukit Bintang Plaza.

I was welcomed into the shop by this old couple. They told me to take my time and try every piece I liked. My first thoughts were - Noooo......it's some old lady manning the shop, how could I get what I want here? But Mum was happily going through the clothes since there were lots that fit her style. No harm taking a look, I felt. So there I was taking a peek through the two long rows of evening dresses. It wasn't bad at all. In fact, this old lady has lots of taste. She knew what people would look for. You've got every dress in every colour and style and length. She encouraged me to try on some - I took in 5 or 6 pieces. Finally took a peek at the price tag and imagine my surprise when the most expensive elegant dress was priced at $469. I would've thought the same piece would cost $2000 if the designer who made the pink dress made this. There were others which were priced as low as $139!

The old lady was just great. She offered to resize the clothes for free. Free? I've never heard of this before, more so for evening dresses! The best is that she said she could do it in a day. Now where can one find a superwoman like this? Aged at 77 with some memory loss and she could still tell recommend you prefect dresses, sew at extremely high speed and handle a shop on her own. When I finally chose the Spanish dress, she said it comes with a discount of 30%. Now who can beat that?

I took the dress the next day. Of course she's the lady has forgotten who I was but she has cleverly sewn the dress without cutting any piece of cloth so that if I ever grew fat, I could still wear it (original size was an 'L'). It was just perfect for the day.

Anyone want to borrow a Spanish gown?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can we have a peek of you wearing the dress?

Wendy said...

But this is a peek of me wearing the dress!! :P