I thought it was only the company I work for that tried to practice the "Bell Curve". The Bell Curve is actually a process of staff evaluation that will eventually fish out the cream of the crops where the whole crop is actually considered good harvest quality. The best of the best they say. It is a long process and for me, a 'hellish' process because a lot of people are going to get hurt in the process. There's also a good point in practising this as throughout the process, one can really see the true colours of all levels of staff. But having said this, I will still call it a hellish process.
I was talking to one of my ex-colleagues who left the company for greener pasteurs a few years ago. Bonuses and increments aside, she was also experiencing what I had to go through. It was unfortunate that her company had to practice the Bell curve theory this year too and she is put in the exact situation as I. This really opened my eyes on the labour market out there. Is there really such a thing as greener pasteurs out there or it's more like everyone leaves thinking of greener pasteurs but in the end it is more like escaping from the tigers mouth just to jump into the crocodile's mouth?
For whatever reason, I wish no one invented the Bell Curve and worse made it into such an important industrial policy that if one company didn't follow it, the company would be classified as not following the industrial standards.


2 comments:
Hi, Honey,
there is an even worst policy: Up or Out. One more reason for me to go away from there.
Kisses,
JL
hi there.i think i read about this 'bell curve' from this book called winning by jack welch (former CEO of GE)...
nice blog...looking forward to reading it
Post a Comment