Friday, June 05, 2009

Mummy-friendly places and breastfeeding rooms

Before you start commenting on anything, yes, I am still breastfeeding. Not so in really 'breastfeeding' directly but I still do give 100% breastmilk to the little man. What I want to write about here is how friendly this country's infrastructure is in providing this essential service to the group of mothers who would want to provide the best brained citizens for this developing country for their kids.

Yes, breastfeeding facilities are mushrooming in shopping centres. Even places like Tesco are starting to have it. I love the one in KLCC best - it's  equipped with play area and games for kids, hot water, basin, etc. The others are OK. Even LCCT has the facility now after their renovations, so my earlier post about pumping in the store room in LCCT does not seem valid anymore. Haha - maybe it was because of my complaint. And mind you even the Immigration Department in Setapak has it! I know because I've used it. Such a place and they actually had the notion to provide such facility.

What brought me to this write up is that our government has not stressed enough that all companies should have private clean rooms (not toilets!) for this matter. No, not for us to bring our kids to work (that's another issue) to breastfeed but more for pumping milk to bring home. Sigh! It makes me tired even writing this.

And you ask why do I even bother? Well, for the past 9 months, I have been using the dressing room downstairs. On several occasions, some brainless people actually come knocking on the door just because they want to use it there and then. I wonder if they do this in the shopping malls - Oh, you need to try that on? Just knock on the door till the person inside comes out, kick their butts out of the room and go try on your stuff for as long as you want. I know that they are the ones who bring money to the company and I am one whom the company need to pay money to and I guess any company owner will say that the previous is more important. PHOEEY! The day before yesterday was no exception. This woman came knocking on the door TWICE and THEN she went on to get the keys from the reception to open the door!

Thankfully the whole process was so disruptive that I came out of the room on time to see the receptionist walking with keys on her hand to open the door. I don't suppose you want to know what would've happened if I were still inside and they actually opened the door. It's too horrendous to write about.

No comments: