Saturday, December 15, 2007

Where Art Thou Christmas?


Decorated green fir trees, Christmas carols, colourful decor, wishing cards with playful reindeers, Santa Claus and dinner invitations, where art thou Christmas this year?


From Christmas shopping to diner parties, this year is definitely a different year. Nothing reminds me of Christmas this year except for the red nose that I have now. Yes, Rudolph, I know you're trying to get me into the Christmas spirit but it isn't the same. I've not seen a decorated Christmas tree, not gone shopping for presents and all the spirit I get is from watching Christmas movies on HBO and Starworld. The only thing from office that reminded me of the celebration is the white Christmas cake that came in for the people from the next office. Christmas carols are sounds I hear from BabyPlus and gatherings will be the ones held in office or the places that have comfortable seats, don't require walking and last no more than two hours. Gifts that I get for gift exchanges are the stuff I get from my fifteen minute shopping sprees at the same shop or things that I browse around on the internet. Day in, day out, my furthest holiday travel is from home to office. No matter how many Christmas trees I decorate on Facebook, no matter how many virtual gifts I receive, when's Christmas again, I'd ask.


Yes, I do miss the crazy days of full day shopping or planning for holiday trips at this time of the year but do I regret it? I guess not. It's a happy sacrifice that comes with the different stages of life. Forget the stuff that I usually look forward to, I have more happy stuff to think about in this mind of mine. Forget other celebrations, it's Wesak Day that I'm thinking about....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marry Christmas!