Sunday, October 12, 2008

Culture Shock and Revolution

I actually brought my stationery set to office on my first day thinking that I may not get any except for a couple of pens ala my last company. What a surprise that on the first day itself, I was given a company collared T-Shirt, a bottle of spirulina, some collar pins and a tray full of stationery that included liquid paper, mechanical pencil, post-it-notes, etc etc. Gosh....I wonder when I'll use the stuff especially when I'm supposed to be doing a paperless job.

On my fourth day, I got my laptop only to find that just like any 'Chinaman' company, they've banned access to a whole lot of websites including all messengers, Facebook, YouTube and all others that had women wearing lingerie (Oh noooo....wouldn't this mean I cannot open my Victoria Secret newsletters anymore?).

Thank goodness they didn't ask me to sign any indemnity letter that they'll deduct my salary if I lost that sleek looking, keyboard-lighting-up-as-you-type, 1.92kg laptop. But somehow, I went to Dell's website and saw that the machine costs RM7k before customization and this is freaking me out. I guess the laptop is following me everywhere in office from now on.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my new company doesn't even have waste paper baskets and the only stationery i got was a free pen with the company logo imprinted on it. talk about china-man.

but another way of looking at it is that i get to choose and buy my own stationery.